****Through AI (Artificial Insemination) your herd can rapidly accelerate into excellence by using the best Bucks!
AI is a great tool to have in many ways. It is one of the most effective tools available to get DNA on file for when a parental verification is desired. Once DNA is on file, a possible progeny may be compared to a sire, even if the sire is no longer available.***
AI has some key advantages over natural breeding.
- 1) It eliminates the necessity of keeping one or several bucks on the farm(depending on herd size). Costs of feeding, housing, separate fencing and labor are eliminated. However, heat detection may be more difficult in the absence of a buck.
- 2) AI can increase the rate of genetic improvement in a herd, as long as superior bucks are consistently selected. In natural service, the prospective breeder has only the buck's pedigree to rely on, whereas AI bucks should be progeny tested for their transmitting ability of milk and fat percentage, weight gain, type conformation, etc.
- 3) AI allows breeding of different portions of the herd to different bucks. Young does may be bred to not yet proven but high potential bucks, while the majority of the herd can be bred to proven high quality bucks.
- 4) AI permits breeding of many does on one day when synchronization is practiced. No long drives to top bucks are involved.
- 5) The danger of transmission of diseases or parasites is greatly reduced. (The transmission of diseases through frozen semen needs further study.)
- 6) The time of breeding can be more carefully regulated, and the owner knows exactly when the doe was bred, as opposed to pasture servicing by a buck that is allowed to run with the herd.
- 7) AI induces good recordkeeping of dates of heat, breeding, pedigrees, etc. This will aid in herd improvements and enable the owner to make better breeding and culling decisions.
*** PLEASE NOTE FROZEN SEMEN MUST BE STORED IN A LIQUID NITROGEN TANK AT - 320 DEGREES F.
IT CAN NOT BE STORED IN A FREEZER OR REFRIGERATOR.